Today is the official start of fall. With tarantula's crossing the road and colors beginning to change, so should our food! So here are two takes on our favorite comfort meal: Roast
Red Wine Pot Roast
Workin' Momma's Easy Crock Pot Roast
Time: 4+ hours cook time, 30 minutes prep
Yields: 5 large servings
Salt & Pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 stalks celery, diced
1 container mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 onions, diced
16 brussel sprouts
2 cups red wine (or you can use more beef broth instead)
2 cups beef broth
10 small purple potatoes, halfed or full
4 large carrots, cut in large sections
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1) Preheat oven to 275ºF
2) Heat olive oil in an oven proof pot (we use cast iron), and roast garlic. Salt and pepper all sides of the beef roast, and sear the outside of it. Set roast aside once seared.
3) Reduce to medium heat and add celery, onions, and brussel sprouts stirring until soft.
4) Pour in the red wine and beef brother making sure to scrape the bottom to avoid burning.
5) Return meat to pan and add the rest of the ingredients (the vegetables and herbs). Make sure the vegetables and herbs get covered in liquid.
6) Cover and transfer to the oven, cooking for 4 hours or until the meat is cooked and vegetables soft.
7) Transfer to serving platter. If the meat falls apart, that's a good sign! Add vegetables and don't forget the sauce! Talk about comfort food. Best enjoyed with a glass of chilled red wine.
Time: 8 + hours cooking time, 10 minutes prep
Serving Size: 4 for 3lbs roast, 6 for 5lbs roast
1 bottle BBQ sauce or 1 coca cola or 1 beer of choice
5 Large Carrots
10 small purple potatoes or potatoes of choice
1) thaw the roast and throw it into the crock pot along with the BBQ sauce. Add enough water to go up two inches on the crock pot.
2) Cook on low for 8+ hours. The longer it cooks the softer it gets! Low and slow tender yumminess.
3) An hour before supper time, add the vegetables and more water, raise the temperature to high, and allow the vegetables to cook. Once the veggies are cooked, the meal is ready! Easy, delicious, tender, comfort food.